Monday, December 8, 2008

A curly hair story with a happy ending


This post is specially personal. I don't know how many of you out there have curly-frizzy-impossible hair but I do!! and I used to think that conditioner was one of the things were I couldn't trade to natural, organic, green or anything like that. My concept of green products was a spongy hair with a patchouli smell.

I love Paul Mitchell and their flat irons but their conditioner was giving me a bad time with snowy flakes and bad hair days. I am not a person that can style a head every morning so I needed a practical fix. I went to my local store and looked around, checked ingredients, compared prices, bla bla bla.... and finally picked Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioning (Mostly because it was on sale) and also what caught my attention was all the natural ingredients: yucca extract, wild cherry bark extract, and the fact that parabens were at their ingredient list.

Ok...so Nature's Gate worked great. I literally feel like every cuticle in every strand of hair was closed (like those promising commercials) and my hair just feels nourished, moist without the grease, so no more blah blah...it really worked for me so that's a won battle for people with curly frizzy hair out there.

Ouchs:
I still kinda use Dr. Bronner's soap or Selsum Blue (guilty) or cold water plus vinegar or something like that once a week just in case the oil comes back.
The conditioner kinda has a hippie smell but it goes away with the water.
They have not managed to live without the hated parabens.
Alcohol is the 3rd ingredient on this product .... but I guess alcohol is not that bad? any experts out there?

My experience with other conditioners:

Pantene = greasy...great ads though!
Infusion23= good but not a lot of moisture
Paul Mitchel=Promised to Fix Damage...didn't
Garnier Fructis=very reasonable price $3.99... ish, great option if you're broke... it does not help with damaged hair but a decent temporary option
Neutrogena Triple Moisture=well....Triple Moisture!, use once a week as a mask only

Again this is a personal subject... some conditioners may work on you some may not...just thought this is a great greener option for all coarse, thick, curly hair people out there. The picture up there is an actual picture of my hair today.... I didn't realize it was that healthy!





Evolving update...5 months after this post was written... I now turned to Dr. Bronner's unscented soap diluted in water with a couple of drops of tea tree oil. No flakes, no dry scalp. Conditioner on ends only.

No comments: